We hope you love the products I recommend! Just so you know, I may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use my links, I really appreciate it! I am also a participant in the Amazon Associates program and will also make a commission from qualifying purchases.
When people purchase headphones for running, they often overlook a super important feature…
And that’s how they fit.
As we all know, running requires a lot of bouncing up and down. When this happens, it’s easy for your headphones to fall out, which interrupts your running.
That’s not the worst bit though…
Headphones falling out while running is the main reason they become damaged.
Luckily, I’ve created this article that’s going to outline the 5 best fitting earbuds for running.
But before we dive in, my top pick is the Back Bay Waterproof Wireless Earbuds. (Insert sentence why they are good)
Why You Should Trust Me…
I’ve been running for the past 7 years. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been running and had my headphones fall out of my ears. Over the years, I’ve learned which types of headphones are best for this problem.
And I’m going to share my knowledge with you today.
My Top 3 Picks…
5 Best Fitting Earbuds For Running
1.Back Bay Waterproof Wireless Earbuds – Adjustable Bass
- Fully Water Resistant
- 80 Hour Long Battery Life
- Bass Mode Built-In
For a runner that enjoys listening to music, the Back Bay Wireless Earbuds are everything you could ever want. To start with, the sound quality is some of the best around.
In fact, I’d say they’re better than more popular brands like Beat By Dre.
They are also waterproof. Some brands claim their headphones are water-resistant. This means they can be splashed with water without getting damaged; however, these headphones can be fully submerged and still work perfectly.
Although you’re not going to be submerging them underwater, it’s a great feature to have in case of heavy rain.
But how about the fit!?
Attached to each earbud is a hook that goes around the back of your ear. This keeps them secured while running.
In addition, you can also adjust the bass. I like this feature because you can turn up the bass and get more motivation to continue working out.
When it comes to downsides, I found the button on the headphones can be rather sensitive. It’s not uncommon for people to accidentally press the button, causing the song to change.
What I Like…
- 100% waterproof, making them perfect for heavy rain
- Fits securely around the ear using hooks
- Amazing sound quality and adjustable bass
- Wireless design to prevent tangling while running
- Long battery life
What I Don’t Like…
- The control button is sensitive
- There aren’t any color options
Similar Product: TREBLAB X3-Pro – Wireless Earbuds
2.Bose SoundSport Earbuds – Crystal Clear Sound Quality
- Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call performance. Change the earbud tips to ones that fit more snugly in your ears
While most corded headphones tend to be loose-fitting, these ones are a little different. Similar to the Back Bay Headphones, the Bose SoundSport Earbuds have hooks that secure them in place.
They are also super comfortable. So comfortable that you probably won’t even notice them in your ears!
Not only that, but they are 100% wireless. However, each earbud is joined by a single wire.
The wire allows you to rest the headphones around your neck, preventing them from falling out and getting lost. Because we all know how easy it is to lose wireless headphones, right?
What’s more, the crystal clear sound lets you enjoy your favorite music while running. The bass isn’t overwhelming, but enough to provide an enjoyable experience.
But not for long…
Many people found the battery life limited on these headphones. While it’s still going to be enough for your daily run, you may need to charge them more frequently, which can be a pain.
On average, you can expect them to last around 2 hours when fully charged. They are also very large, causing them to feel a little heavy when running.
What I Like…
- Super comfortable fit
- Hooks to prevent them from falling out
- Wire lets you hang them around your neck
- Crystal clear sound quality
What I Don’t Like…
- The battery only lasts around 2 hours
- They are a little heavy
Similar Product: ISOtunes PRO 2.0
3.Occian Bluetooth Headphones – Best Waterproof Option
- 1. Phone Call Clarity Enhancement Based on 4 Mics Noise Reduction：Each earbud had a main and a vice mics,4 mics work together to make sure you can hear the caller and the caller can hear more clearly what you say.Design for business and commute.
- 2. Multifunction Charging Case：Each earbud can get 8 hours play back from a single charge. 2200mAh charging case supports 8 times of recharging for both earbuds, gives up to 64 hours continuous music time. And the case is compatible with wireless charger which offers you another convenient charging method. LED power display on the case can help check the charging status of earbuds and charging case.
- 3. IPX5 Waterproof and Comfortable for Sports：IPX7 waterproof effortlessly protects the earbuds from heavy rain or sweat during intense workouts and all-weather conditions.Equipped with soft,flexible and secure ear hook in a lightweight design and three different sizes of eartips for choice, which make sure they'll stay comfortabley firm in place and won't fall off. Widely applied to running,exercises,gym,travel.
When looking at the products in this article, the Occian Bluetooth Headphones are most similar to the Back Bay Wireless Earbuds. They are both wireless with ear hooks. What more could you want!?
They come with a charging case, so you can charge them while on the move. Unlike the Bose SoundSport Earbuds, these ones boast a great battery life of 8 hours.
The charging case has a small LED screen, outlining whether the headphones are fully charged. I like this feature because it prevents overcharging, which can damage some earbuds.
Another thing that damages headphones is harsh weather. But how do these ones stand up in the rain!? Amazing – to put it bluntly.
They are waterproof and can even be used in the shower after your run. It doesn’t get any better than that, does it?
When it comes to downsides, the charging case is too big, making it feel uncomfortable in your pocket. What’s more, changing songs can be quite difficult. You’ll need to hold down the button for a considerable amount of time, which can be a pain when running.
What I Like…
- Ear hooks keep them in place
- 8 hours battery life
- The case displays charge percentage
- Waterproof makes them great in the rain
- Wireless design
What I Don’t Like…
- The case is too big and difficult to carry in your pocket
- Changing songs is time-consuming
Similar Product: Occiam Bluetooth Headphones
4.APEKX Bluetooth Headphones – Additional Earloops & Hooks
- 【SPORTS DESIGN】APEKX BE1032 true wireless earbuds bring you cord-free and hands-free experience. Secure fit & comfortable & IPX7 waterproof design makes the earbuds perfect for sports. Without hassle wire, free your hands among prolonged exercise.
- 【LASTING LONG PLAY/TALK TIME】Premium quality lithium accumulator, portable charging case, both of them allow you enjoy the music on-the-go for 22 hours.
- 【WONDERFUL MUSIC QUALITY】Bluetooth 5.0 technology makes the transmission stably and build-in high-quality noise-canceling mic makes talking and listening simply. You can immerse the stereo during exercising.
Apekx has really gone the extra mile when making these earbuds. Not only is the design top-notch, but they include multiple sets of different size ear loops and ear hooks.
This means you can interchange until you find the perfect fit, minimizing the chance of them falling out during your runs.
And that’s only one of the many benefits! They have also been endorsed by audio engineers and media professionals for having great sound quality.
With that being said, they’re not the loudest headphones on the list. But you can’t have everything though, right!?
If you need to communicate with your running buddy, good luck with that! The Apekx Bluetooth Headphones take ‘noise canceling’ to a whole new level. You won’t be able to hear anything apart from the sound of music!
Included with your purchase is a charging case, allowing for convenient charging wherever you are. You’ll get a few charges out of the case before it needs to be recharged.
With that in mind, these earbuds last between 4-5 hours on a full charge, which is more than enough unless you’re running a damn marathon, right!?
What I Like…
- Comes with multiple ear loops and hooks for the perfect size
- Endorsed by audio engineers for their superior sound quality
- Comes with a convenient charging case
- The headphones last between 4-5 hours on a full charge
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
What I Don’t Like…
- They aren’t the loudest earbuds
- The button controls are difficult to operate
Similar Product: Pendali Wireless Earbuds
5.JLab JBuds Air Sport Bluetooth Earbuds – Longest Battery Life
- Long Playtime with Charging Case: Each earbud holds a 6-hour battery life and the case provides 34+ hours of extra work out time. JBuds Air Sport automatically charge when placed in the case, which recharges with the integrated patent-pending USB cable.
- Sweatproof Sport Fit: An IP66 sweat resistance holds up against sweat and dirt, so hit the trails, the gym and more. The ergonomic earhook fits even the smallest ears and stay securely and comfortably in place. Switch the gel tips out for our included Cloud Foam tips and GO.
- Auto On & Connect: JBuds Air Sport automatically turn on and connect to each other right out of the case. Then just connect to your phone. Utilizing Bluetooth 5, this is our fastest hands-free connection yet.
After going through many so-called ‘best-fitting’ earbuds, the Jlab Earbuds kept popping up. Although these headphones stay in your ears while running, they don’t hold up the best and have been known to break after a few days of use.
Personally, I wouldn’t recommend them if you’re looking for reliability!
However, there are some positives that I wanted to mention to help you make a more informed decision.
You can’t fault them for their ability to provide great comfort. In most cases, you won’t even notice them in your ears while running. I believe the lightweight design also plays an important factor here!
I was also impressed with their long battery life. You’ll get a whopping 6 hours per headphone. In addition, the battery case can store up to 34 hours of charging time, making them perfect for running while traveling!
While you’re not going to get world-class sound quality with these headphones, it’s more than enough for the average runner. You can also use the ‘be aware’ feature to let in ambient noise while running, so you can still hear your surroundings.
What I Like…
- 40 hours charging time (case + headphones)
- Portable charging case included
- Stay in your ears while running
- ‘Be aware’ feature for runners
What I Don’t Like…
- They have been known to break after a few uses
- Can’t use the earbuds separately
Similar Product: Coioc Wireless Earbuds
What To Look For When Choosing The Best-Fitting Earbuds For Running
When running, it’s easy for headphones to fall out due to the bouncing motion. Combine that with heavy sweating and you’ve got a recipe for disaster. While it’s impossible to stop sweating entirely, it’s important to choose headphones with ear hooks.
Ear hooks are a relatively new feature that’s been added to sports headphones, helping keep them in place during exercise. As you may have guessed, they hook over the back of your ear.
Waterproof Or Water-Resistant
Running is a strenuous activity and involves a lot of sweating. Therefore, you need earbuds that are waterproof or water-resistant. That way, they’re not going to become damaged when running for prolonged periods of time.
Some waterproof headphones can also be used in the rain, so there’s no excuse to miss your run when the weather’s bad!
Have you ever tried running with corded headphones, only to accidentally knock them out every 5 minutes with your hand? That’s not going to happen with wireless earbuds because, well…they’re wireless.
In addition, cords can be annoying and tend to get in the way at times. If you’re still using corded earphones, why not make the transition to wireless?
Are you going to be running a marathon? An ultramarathon!? Then headphones with long battery life are important. You don’t want to get halfway through your run and not be able to play music. After all, music is what keeps us all motivated when the going gets tough, right!?
How Do I Keep My Earbuds From Falling Out When Running?
First and foremost, you need to choose earbuds with hooks that loop over your ear. That way, they’re still secured in case they become loose. You can also change the silicone covers that come with many wireless headphones.
They all tend to be shaped differently, some catering towards people with smaller ears and some are better for bigger ears. The Apex Bluetooth Headphones are great for this because they come with multiple sets of ear hooks and silicone covers, allowing you to find the perfect fit.
Which Earbuds Are Best For Running?
Everybody is different, so my favorite earbuds may not be suitable for you. With that being said, some headphones stand above the rest for runners.
If I had to choose the best all-around earbuds for running without focusing primarily on the fit, I’d recommend the Anker Soundcore Spirit X2’s. Not only are they sweat-proof, but also boast many other great features such as long battery life, durable design, and high-quality ear hooks.
Do Your Ears Get Used To Earbuds?
If you’ve been used to traditional headphones, earbuds may take a little while to get used to. But rest assured, you’ll feel comfortable soon enough. On the flip side, noise-canceling headphones may take a little longer to get used to because they create a pressurized feeling in your ear.
The fit is everything when it comes to choosing the right earbuds for running. What’s the point in paying for something that sounds great but falls out every 5 minutes, right!?
Are you still stuck for choice? If you want my expert opinion, I recommend the Back Bay Wireless Headphones. You’ll experience exceptional sound quality coupled with an amazing fit.